Role: Full Stack Developer x2
Location: Remote (preference Dublin)
Role Status: Full Time
Remuneration: Competitive salary, based on experience
ChangeX is a platform connecting proven ideas for strengthening communities with teams who start them locally and those with the resources to support – ideas like Grow it Yourself, Men’s Sheds, Repair Café, parkrun and Playworks, adopted and started by teachers, healthcare professionals, community workers and other proactive citizens.
There are thousands of social innovations across the world that have been proven to work, but too few at global scale, leading to wasteful reinvention or worse, no solution at all. Technology can address this. We’re on a mission to help build thriving communities everywhere – in our first five years, over 500,000 people have benefitted from over 16,000 new projects started on ChangeX.
Our business model is called Impact as a Service – we make it easy for funders to find and invest in the ideas they want to spread in regions they care most about – customers include Microsoft and Web Summit among others. Our philanthropic backers come from some of the best recognised venture firms including Andreessen Horowitz, Union Square Ventures and Insight Ventures as well as founders like Mike Lee (MyFitnessPal), Colm Lyon (Fire) and Jerry Greenfield (Ben & Jerry’s). Our team is usually based at Dogpatch Labs in Dublin with team members in the U.S. and Europe.
We’re looking for two full stack developers to join a small talented product team (remote working options available). This team is working to simplify and accelerate the way people fund, start and grow projects in their communities. We’re looking for engineers who share our belief in the power of great technology to transform the lives of real offline communities. If you want to ensure your engineering skills have a positive impact in the world, we’d love to talk to you.
Examples of Technical Challenges:
- Development of new impact quantification, tracking & reporting system for the world’s first social impact trading marketplace
- Build new features that bring 100% financial transparency to how projects use funding
- Deploy models focused on optimized resource allocation, fraud detection and impact content curation
- Build new features that bring the impact of funded projects to life including BI dashboards, impact feeds and open impact APIs.
- 2+ years experience developing web applications
- Previous experience with programming Ruby/Rails
- Strong UX and design sensibilities;
- Solid experience with AWS, Heroku or other cloud providers;
- Strong programming skills with a focus on clean design, well-refactored code and automated testing
- Confident playing a major role in the vision & development direction of the product
- Demonstrated commitment to social change
- An entrepreneurial track record ideally, with strong empathy and ethical fibre
Technologies we Use:
- Ruby on Rails is our primary server framework;
- Deployed using Heroku for managing infrastructure;
- PostgreSQL Database;
- GitHub for source code management and process support;
- Travis for continuous integration.
Perks & Benefits:
- Remote working options
- Flexible hours and vacation time;
- Enjoy annual performance related bonuses;
- Exercise your mind and body with onsite/online yoga sessions;
- Master new skills from those around you with onsite/online talks and networking at Dogpatch Labs;
- If working from our Dublin office is your preference, work in a great location with excellent facilities in Dublin city. 2 min walk from Dart and Luas.
How we Work:
Our development team currently works remotely as a team with members in Dublin, Barcelona and Mayo. Our wider organisation also has people based in the United States. Dublin is our headquarters and main office space – with core Operations, Sales, Support and Impact teams. Remote working has become part of our company DNA. We believe that it offers a lot of advantages to both ChangeX and employees.
We run a lightweight process that focuses on feature-based delivery on a weekly basis. Our coordination and communication are mostly through daily ‘catch-up meetings’ and use of appropriate tools such as Trello for backlog management, Slack for communication and Git(GitHub) for source control and feature deployment through PRs and Milestones.
From a coding perspective, we place a strong emphasis on clean, minimal, well-refactored code backed up by a robust suite of automated tests. We make use of peer review for all design and development work. In general, we strive for an approach that empowers and trusts individuals to ‘do the right thing’, and as a team, we try and keep each other true to this.
We are initially looking for resumes and portfolio examples of your work e.g. GitHub repositories, blog articles, etc. If you do not have anything suitable we can provide a problem piece to work together on. From there we filter down and do a series of interviews (remote if required). These are often ‘work’ focused i.e. looking at code together, pair programming for example. Our preference is for candidates to talk to as much of the team as possible so that we, team and candidate, can make the best decision possible.
To apply, please send CV or equivalent with a note outlining why you think you’d be the right person to Katie at [email protected]