We’re looking for a Full Stack Software Engineer to join our small, talented product team.
Role: Full Stack Software Engineer (Mid-Senior Level)
Location: Remote-first, with access to our office hubs (Timezone: GMT / CET / EST)
Office Hub: Dublin or New York
Role Status: Full Time
Remuneration: Competitive salary, negotiable based on experience and location (approx. €70,000 – €100,000 plus benefits)
We are ChangeX. We have built a platform to connect communities to proven ideas and funding to scale sustainable impact.
Our mission? To empower people everywhere to change their communities for the better by making it easy for them to access the ideas, funding and support they need.
With our support, great ideas like Grow it Yourself, Girls Who Code, Repair Café, EasyPeasy Pods and FIRST LEGO League, are being adopted by communities across the world.
So far, more than 20,000 community projects have started through ChangeX, scaling almost 100 innovations and benefitting over 750,000 people.
Our business model is called Impact as a Service. We make it easy for funders to invest in the ideas they want to spread in regions they care most about. Our partners include Microsoft, Nickelodeon, Accenture, The LEGO Foundation and Amazon Web Services.
Our team and how we work:
We are simplifying and accelerating the way people fund, start and grow projects in their communities. We’re looking for engineers who share our belief in the power of great technology to transform lives.
Remote working is part of our company’s DNA. For example, our development team currently works remotely, with team members in Ireland, Spain and Brazil.
As a development team, we run a lightweight process that focuses on feature-based delivery on a weekly basis. Our coordination and communication are mostly through daily ‘catch-up meetings’ and use of appropriate tools such as Trello for backlog management, Slack for communication and Git(GitHub) for source control and feature deployment through PRs and Milestones.
We make use of peer review for all design and development work. In general, we strive for an approach that empowers and trusts individuals to ‘do the right thing’.
This role: Full Stack Software Engineer
The role is an opportunity for a mid to senior level developer to be part of the core Product team that scales ChangeX over the coming years.
We are currently going through an exciting growth phase, evolving from a traditional RoR architecture to additionally support a modern “single page application” approach. This evolution exposes our application as a set of APIs consumed by React to provide a rich interactive experience.
As part of this project, you will work on re-building the fund-management UI in our application.
Examples of projects you might work on:
- Build new features that bring the impact of community projects to life, including dashboards, feeds and APIs to highlight deeply insightful data
- Work closely with the rest of the Product team to improve existing features, based on feedback from our users
- Upgrades to our tech stack – we like to stay up to date with our frameworks
- Refine our existing processes to thrive at scale, innovating and finding areas to automate
We are looking for people* who have:
- Some UX and design sensibilities
- Strong programming skills with a focus on clean design, well-refactored code and automated testing
- Confidence playing a significant role in the vision and development direction of the product
- A demonstrated commitment to social change
- Strong empathy and ethical fibre
*We encourage you to apply if you believe your skills and experience are a good fit for this role, even if you don’t tick every box above. When making hiring decisions, we aim to be inclusive and look beyond checklists. We want to find people who bring fresh perspectives and want to grow with our organisation.
Technologies we use:
- Ruby on Rails is our primary server framework
- Deployed using Heroku for managing infrastructure
- PostgreSQL Database
- GitHub for source code management and process support
- GitHub Actions for continuous integration
- 25 holiday days per year plus flexible hours
- Flexible working options: remote, in office or a hybrid
- Annual performance related bonus
- Pension scheme
- Basic health insurance plan
- Master new skills from those around you with onsite/online talks and networking at our hubs
- Access to a great work environment and facilities in Dublin, New York or a co-working space convenient for you
- Annual team retreat
If you want to ensure your engineering skills positively impact the world, we’d love to talk to you.
As a first step, please send your resume and examples of your work (e.g. GitHub repositories, blog articles, etc) to Katie at [email protected] by Friday November 25th. If you do not have suitable examples to share, we can work on something together.
We will shortlist several candidates for a series of interviews with a cross-section of our team. We like candidates to talk to as many of our team as possible to allow us – and you – to make the best decision possible.
Our interview process is ‘work’ focused and could involve looking at code together or pair programming.
After the interview process is complete, we will quickly move to decision making and offer.