Renata Leite Pitman
2 minutes ago • edit • delete
We have been working on a public system of education for the identification of trees and other wildlife at the Jens Jensen Gardens at the Lighthouse in Evanston.
We used the iNaturalist application to record our efforts. Up to date 80 observers made 449 observations. 163 species were identified by 152 identifiers. See: https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/jens-jensen-gardens?tab=species
World Ocean Day 2021 - Girls Scouts of Chicago Contest
We can't continue damaging rivers and seas with polluted waters. To raise awareness of this issue, we are planning an Art on Drain contest with the Girls Scout Troops of the Greater Chicago Area. To participate:
1) Join your troop at the ReWild Urban Landscape project: www.changex.org/us/urban-thinkscape/715-seward-st-evanston-il-60202-usa-cook-county. The "join" button is located on the bottom left of the page.
2) Paint around a water drain ONLY USING CHALK the troop art, take a picture, and post it on THIS PAGE, Facebook, or Instagram with the hashtag #WOD2021-Art-on-drain. Before planning your drawing, imagine the impact of pesticides in all species from Chicago to the Mississippi River and then to the Ocean.
3) The arts will be judged by famous experts, soon to be announced. There will be one winning troop per county, which will be announced on June 30, 2021.
4) Winning troops will be awarded a camera trap, which is an outdoor camera used to capture footage of the wildlife that surrounds us. I will train the troops to work remotely to observe species on their cameras and upload them to iNaturalist (a wildlife observation app). Leaders and scouts will gain a better understanding of the wildlife in our area encouraging teamwork between troops.
6) Get ready to shine in defense of our planet!!
Please consider signing and sharing this petition to advocate that businesses plant natives to attract pollinators to their gardens. Thank you!
#RustyPatchedBumbleBee #bumblebee #bees #beesofinstagram #BumbleBees #RedList #IUCN #NatGeoCertified #pollinators #pollinatorswelcome #pollinatorgarden #pollinatorfriendly #pollinatorplants #pollinatorhabitat
Tomorrow I will be hosting Dr. Clay Bolt to learn about the endangered Rusty-Patched Bumble Bee, in preparation for the next City Nature Challenge 2021 (April 30-May3). Stay tuned! #citynaturechallenge2021 #rustypatchedbumble https://www.facebook.com/events/562121378102629
Why cities should be designed for birds
Habitats that are good for birds are good for people, too.
There’s a giant dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico — thanks in large part to pollution from Chicago
By TONY BRISCOE
JUN 14, 2019 AT 5:00 AM