Kick off meeting – 12/10/21
Present; Siobhan Ryan, Esther Kennedy, James O’Reilly, Catherine Fogarty
• Update our school Covid 19 Response plan to include;
1. Any GIY meetings are to be kept to a minimum of four people practicing physical distancing of 6 feet/2 metres apart.
2. A class rota for garden maintenance is to be set up to ensure no mixing of class bubbles.
• Select site for four raised beds (3ft X3ft) – Include pupils in the decision process taking into consideration sun, shelter, accessibility and visibility for classroom
• Purchase GIY grow box is €850.
• Put raised beds together if need be.
• Add soil to beds.
• Follow the four bed plan and monthly sow plan as detailed in the GIY resource guide
• Assign vegetables to be sown to a given class.
There are many benefits to the school from creating a school garden. For e.g. All students and staff will be able to take part . Children will learn about the true source of their food, and gain valuable gardening concepts and skills that integrate with several subjects on the curriculum, e.g. Maths and science . Through this project the students will also improve their focus and patience, cooperation, teamwork and social skills.